Sedation dentistry is the use of a sedative to reduce anxiety during dental treatment. Dental anxiety is a real phenomenon. Some people avoid visits to the dentist because they have a fear of the dentist and everything that goes with it. However, they still deserve the benefits of a healthy smile. For these people, sedation technology has been a lifesaver.
Dentists use sedation dentistry to help patients physically relax and feel calm during an appointment. They do not make anyone unconscious or manic. In this blog, we’ll explore the history and benefits of sedation dentistry as well as how it is used today.
What Is Dental Anxiety?
Dental anxiety is a common type of anxiety disorder that occurs when a person suffers from fear or worry about dental procedures. This is a very common issue, especially with children and the elderly.
Dental anxiety can be avoided by making sure that the patient is in a safe environment, receiving appropriate pain management, and is informed of all aspects of the procedure.
The History of Sedation Dentistry
The first documented use of sedation dentistry is from the 18th century when it was used to anesthetize a patient to extract a tooth. This was the first time a sedative was used to treat a medical condition.
Since then, the use of sedation dentistry has increased significantly. Today, sedation dentistry is the most used form of anesthesia in dentistry. It is used in 80% of all dental procedures.
Nitrous oxide (laughing gas) has made the process of anxiety management much easier. Laughing gas is a quick and effective way to help patients feel calm. Nitrous oxide is a gas that is inhaled through the nose. It causes feelings of relaxation and calm. It is very helpful for patients who suffer from claustrophobia and other anxiety disorders.
How Sedation Dentistry Is Used Today
Sedation dentistry is usually employed at patient request, and in tandem with other comfort amenities such as pillows and blankets.
Sedation dentistry is no longer meant to be a substitute for anesthesia as it was in the 18th century. Now, it is used to help patients who are anxious or uncomfortable with the dentist’s office. Other pain management anesthesia is always used for routine dental procedures that might be painful otherwise. Sedation dentistry is an optional aspect of a dental care experience.
How Sedation Dentistry Helps Patients
Sedation dentistry creates a state of relaxation for the patient by using an inhalant or oral pill. Once the sedative enters the body, it starts to work and the patient is put into a state of relaxation. During this state, the patient is able to breathe deeply and easily. This allows the patient to feel safe and comfortable.
Many patients routinely enjoy these advantages of sedation dentistry:
- Reduced anxiety and pain during procedures.
- Increased participation in their dental care process.
- A minimized need for anesthetics during later procedures.
- More comfortable dental experiences.
Sedation Dentistry at Fairchance Dental Arts
Fairchance Dental Arts offers two sedation dentistry options:
- Nitrous Gas: Nitrous Gas is administered through a small mask placed over the patient’s nose. Nitrous gas works quickly to induce a state of relaxation and mild euphoria, allowing patients to feel at ease during their dental procedure. The effects of nitrous gas wear off rapidly once the mask is removed, and patients are usually able to resume their daily activities immediately after their appointment.
- Oral Sedation: This method involves the use of prescription medication to induce a state of deep relaxation and drowsiness. Patients will take the medication about an hour before their appointment, and the effects can last for several hours. Oral sedation is a more potent form of sedation than nitrous gas, making it ideal for patients who experience severe dental anxiety or who require a more invasive dental procedure.
Find out more about sedation dentistry options at Fairchance Dental Arts by visiting our sedation page.