At Fairchance Dental Arts, we take an integrative approach to orthodontics that considers the whole person, not just your teeth. Our focus is on addressing the root cause of malocclusions (crooked or misaligned teeth). We use whole health orthodontics to achieve your overall well-being in our office.
What is Integrative Orthodontics?
Integrative Orthodontics is a multidisciplinary approach to treatment that combines conventional braces with alternative therapies such as dentofacial orthopedics and airway/myofunctional orthodontics to address the underlying causes of malocclusions. We look beyond cosmetic issues to address the underlying causes of pain and discomfort, taking into account the holistic nature of the body.
We understand that crooked teeth and misaligned jaws are signs of significant issues that our bodies are attempting to cope with, and we use thoughtful, in-depth analysis of anatomy, breathing, physiology, and neurology to plan for the best treatment options. Our goal is to provide you or your child with the longest possible, healthy, and pain-free life, and we believe that our integrative approach to orthodontic treatment is the best way to achieve that.
How Does This Differ From Standard Orthodontics?
At our practice, we evaluate you or your child as a whole person, considering factors such as tongue position, swallowing, clear airway, breathing, eating, body posture, sleep, cognitive issues, energy, focus, and a healthy smile. We believe that straightening teeth and achieving a beautiful smile is just one part of the equation. We also focus on proper breathing, improvements in posture and in the spine, neurological balance, and muscle function to ensure whole body wellness and unimpaired brain function.
We use a variety of treatments to intercept and correct problems to not only straighten teeth but to achieve overall health and well-being. These methods include:
- Invisalign Clear Aligners | Invisalign uses clear plastic trays to gradually shift teeth into the desired position. The aligners are custom-made to fit snugly over the teeth and are virtually invisible, making them a popular choice for those who want to straighten their teeth discreetly.
- Traditional Braces | Braces are a tried-and-true method for straightening teeth using brackets and wires to apply constant pressure to teeth, gradually moving them into the desired position. Braces are often the most effective treatment option for more severe cases of misalignment.
- Functional Appliances | Functional appliances utilize the natural forces generated by muscular activity and jaw growth to improve the alignment of the bite. Examples include the Twin Block, Herbst Twin Block, RickANator, and Myobrace appliances.
- Expanders | These devices are used to widen the upper jaw to create more space for teeth. Expanders are typically worn for several months and are often followed by traditional braces to complete the alignment process. Examples include RPE, Schwarz, HAAS.
- The ALF Appliance | The Advanced Lightwire Functional (ALF) Appliance is a type of minimally invasive appliance that uses light, flexible wires to reposition the teeth and jaws. It is often used to treat issues such as TMJ disorders, sleep apnea, and other dental problems.
- Orthotic Splints | Custom-made devices that are used to reposition the jaw and relieve stress on the jaw joint. They are typically worn at night and can be effective in treating issues such as TMJ disorders, bruxism (teeth grinding), and other jaw-related issues.
Previously, it was common for children to only receive orthodontic treatment after all their permanent teeth had come in. However, it is now recommended that they undergo a consultation with an orthodontic specialist no later than seven years of age.
This approach is known as Phase 1 Interceptive Orthodontics and aims to prevent issues from becoming permanent in the tooth and jaw structure. The primary goals are to ensure adequate space for proper growth of permanent teeth, to guide jaw development for proper alignment, and to avoid the need to extract or modify permanent teeth in order to create a larger airway. When addressed during the developmental stages of teeth and jaw, the orthodontic process becomes simpler and more effective. Once again, achieving overall well-being.
Treatment for More Than Just Your Teeth
At Fairchance Dental Arts, we understand the importance of early intervention in orthodontic treatment. By addressing orthodontic issues early on, we aim to prevent future complications and achieve optimal results for our patients. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn more about how our interceptive orthodontic treatment can benefit the dental health and complete well-being of you or your child.
My 7-year old daughter was referred to Fairchance Dental Arts for her 1st time needing dental work. She suffers from debilitating anxiety, and she was a nervous wreck, full of tears even walking into the office for her consult. Dr. Megan Beam was *fantastic* to say the least. She’s truly gifted with children, walked my daughter through every single step, listened to her fears, calmed her nerves, and made sure she was comfortable the entire time. Not one tear, and zero anxiety from my daughter on the day the dental work was completed — all credit goes to Dr. Megan Beam and her wonderful staff. Beautiful office as well. Couldn’t recommend them enough!!
– Teresa I.